Thursday, May 8, 2014

Lessons Learned

    Not All 5Ks Are Races:

    After completing my 3rd Color Run on April 26th, I've had to force myself to reassess what 5Ks are truly important to me and why do I run in them.  The Color Run is a great example.  My first Color Run was in 2012 before a lot of copycat runs made their appearance and the concept of a Color Run was virtually unknown to the general public.  It was a blast!  It was very motivating to keep running because I knew that I was about to hit another Color Zone, which meant fun!  Since the 2012 Color Run, there have been many others jumping on the "Color" band wagon such as Color Me Rad, Run or Dye, and others.  The Color Run became a monument to what I like to call attention-whore running.  It was no longer about running.  What became of the Color Run?  It became 3.1 miles of selfish garbage.  First, the name should be changed to Color Walk.  At the last Color Run in Tulsa, there were only 20% that were running and the rest were walking.  Now, let me say this:  I do NOT have a problem if you need to walk a 5K.  None whatsoever.  We are all on different journeys whenever it comes to fitness.  What I do have a problem with is if you are entering a 5K, please brush up on etiquette (please see my previous blog.) such as staying to the right if you know you're going to walk and leaving the left open for runners.  Not only that, but historically and technically, you are supposed to run through the Color Zones.  This year there were people stopping in the Color Zones and turning in a 360 to get their fat asses saturated in color.  You're blocking the course, numbnuts!  One dolt actually laid down in a Color Zone to make a snow angel.  There were even people getting mad when you asked them for the track because you're running and they are not.  It's safe to say that I won't be doing another one until 5Ks are no longer fads.





No comments:

Post a Comment